Are you a carer?
A carer is someone who provides unpaid support to an adult or child with a disability, a long term illness, frailty, a mental health issue or addiction. The caring may be for a few hours or 24 hours a day, and maybe for multiple people.
Please take a look at the notice boards in the Practice waiting rooms with carer information displayed.
To register as a carer, you can call into the Practice and complete one of our carer forms which are held in reception. Alternatively, please click on the link below, complete the form and return it to reception:
Carers Registration Form
Entitlements here at Handsworth Medical Practice
You can receive an annual health check from one of our healthcare assistants on a yearly basis
You can order your repeat prescriptions over the telephone between 2.00 pm to 6.00 pm on Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday and Friday. You can also order prescriptions for the person you care for
Our receptionists will identify you as a carer straight away on your record and they can offer you flexible appointments best to suit you, and we can offer a longer appointment if necessary with any health professional in the Practice
You are entitled to a flu jab every year. In the flu season we will invite you in, and you can bring the person you care for at your best convenience
Sheffield Carers Centre
The Carers Centre is in touch with over 11,500 carers in the city, providing them with information, advice and support. All carers registered there receive a free Carer Card that gives discounts and offers from businesses across Sheffield, as well their regular Newsletter and information about all the support available (see list below).
You can give consent to us to share your details with the Sheffield Carers Centre.
- Carer Advice Line: speak to an advisor about any caring-related issue on 0114 272 8362 (Mon-Fri, 9am – 6pm)
- Specialist advice: welfare and benefits, employment rights and caring, and legal advice
- Carers Needs Assessment: looks at how caring affects the carer’s life, and what support might be useful.
- Help to care, and to have a break
- Newsletter and e-Bulletin to keep carers up to date with news and service information
- Connecting carers with local support groups and activities
- Carers Café and Mental Health Hub every month
- Drop in service on Wednesday mornings
- Social media: advice and news on Facebook and Twitter
If you are interested you can ring Handsworth Medical Practice on tel. 0114 2697505 and ask to speak to Lotty who can pass your details on, or you can speak directly to Sheffield Carers Centre on Tel. 0114 272 8362